From:
"Roger P. Mellen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:56:14 -0600
Some of you interested in Virginia History might want to know about my
new book, /The Origins of a Free Press in Pre-Revolutionary Virginia:
Creating a Culture of Political Dissent,/ with a foreword by historian
David Waldstreicher (Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, Oct. 2009). The
book explores in some detail the /Virginia Gazettes, /the /Virginia
Almanacks/, and explores how the expanding print culture in the 18th
century led to an erosion of the traditional culture of deference and
set the stage for a new culture of dissidence, leading eventually to the
first constitutional protection of a free press.

While this book is quite expensive at $120 (as it is a limited interest
scholarly monograph, not a popular history) the publisher has made a
special offer for individual scholars. If you are interested in a $40
special price, plus $10 shipping and handling, please email me off-list
at [log in to unmask] and I will send you the information.

Thanks!
Dr. Roger Mellen
New Mexico State University