From:
mattammatt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:07:17 -0700
I have found that during the civil war there were significantly detailed maps made for the military. These maps included not only the topography, but in many cases the location of the homes of many of the residents of the area. The Library of Congress has an excellent map collection on line, if you can figure out how to navigate it to get the specific information you are looking for. They have a map of Rockbridge County made for the military in 1860 something with all of the above mentioned, including Gilmore's Mill, located on the James River and just south of Natural Bridge. Here is how to reach it-
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/dsxphome.html
at the home page click military battles and campaigns
on the next page click subject index
on the next page scroll down to and click on United States-Virginia-Fredericksburg Region
on the next page scroll to United States-Virginia-Rockbridge
click on that and the map will come up. You have an option to view it on the site, but I suggest downloading it and using another viewer.

qvarizona <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I realize the question re. Dandridge's plantation had historical significance, but still, such a quick response to a question of locale inspires me to ask: Does anyone know where in Rockbridge County the Gilmore plantation Sidney/Sydney Vale was located? It was owned by the Gilmore family until ca 1909. From old family papers I know only that it was on the James about 4 miles south of the Natural Bridge.

Any ideas? clues? Is there a way to trace locartion of property without a legal description?

--Joanne