From:
Paul Levengood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:50:14 -0500
Dear Mr. Vejnar,

To the matter of a "bias" in the VMHB---nothing could be further from
the truth.  We the editors have absolutely no preference for articles
focusing on "eastern Virginia, the University of Virginia, and the Civil
War."  We are constrained by what is submitted to us and by the
scholarly quality of those submissions.  We receive far more manuscripts
on Central Virginia and the Tidewater than on other parts of the state.
That is something over which we have no control. (Ironically, there are
many who criticize us for not publishing enough on the Civil War.)

That said, I take issue with your assertion that "In the last 9 years I
have counted only ONE article in the VMHB dealing with the area
southwest of Roanoke." By my count, there have, in that time span, been
two articles focusing on that region (see vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 393-434
and vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 5-34) as well as an entire issue (vol. 107, no.
4) devoted to the Kanawha salt industry.  Would we like to publish more
on Southwestern Virginia?  Absolutely.  We would also like to publish
more articles on Northern Virginia, which has probably been less well
represented in VMHB pages than has Southwestern Virginia.
Interestingly, in the past year or so we have accepted two articles on
Southwestern Virginia for which we await final drafts from the authors.
Neither of them, I venture, would perceive the bias about which you
speak.

I would encourage anyone on this list who has a manuscript on a
Southwestern Virginia topic to submit it to the VMHB. It will be treated
fairly.

Finally, As a matter of policy, we do not publicly discuss manuscripts
we have rejected, that would be a breach of ethics.

Sincerely,
Paul Levengood

---------------
Paul A. Levengood, Ph.D.

Managing Editor
Virginia Magazine of History and Biography

Program Coordinator
Reynolds Business History Center

Phone: 804.342.9673
Fax: 804.342.9697