Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:23:46 -0500
A further point of info, 1885-86 was when 'moral outrage' in England as well
as the US concerned abuse, neglect and transportation of young girls for
sexual purposes, that led to statuatory reforms in both countries.  'Age of
consent' in America referred at that time only to the legal age of 'girls.'
"American reformers were shocked to discover that the laws of most states
set the age of consent at ten or twelve."  The age of female consent was
raised by all states during the ensuing years of reform into the 1900's.
Re: http://womhist.binghamton.edu/aoc/doclist.htm ;
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/7023/Consent.html

In prior times the US economy was predominantly agricultural (beyond the
eastern coast) where family-owned farms needed a sizeable workforce in the
form of large families.  It was not uncommon from my history studies and
genealogical research for females to marry and begin birthing at young
teenage years (14-16), sometimes with much older husbands.  I suspect the
stress of birthing could present greater health issues in women's later
years, and with limited medical care, that also resulted in their earlier
marital age.

Of possible interest is that the state of Virginia's age of consent (M&F) is
still only 15, youngest in the nation by one year (presently being
reviewed.)
Re:  http://www.moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=states

Laws amongst the states have progressively become greater in number and
complexity to deal with subject matters of today's society.  Moral outrage
exists yet today concerning the welfare and protection of our nation's
children, with some states and their courts doing much more than others in
this regard.

Neil McDonald