From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 11:12:38 -0400
Dear Mr. Barger,

   You are correct that _Mr. Jefferson's Women_ devotes one 27-page chapter
to the matter of Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemings. That chapter
is also supported by slightly more than 9 pages of endnotes and another page
in Appendix B listing Sally Hemings's children and their birth and (when
known) death dates.
   Although other historians have contended that the relationship began in
Paris with the birth of a child often identified as Tom, I never found that
view persuasive. And I believe the implications of the Woodson-family DNA
testing concurs with other evidence to suggest that the relationship began
at Monticello after Jefferson retired from Washington's cabinet, and that
"Thomas Jefferson fathered six children born to his slave Sally Hemings
between 1795 and 1808." (p. 115)
   (NB: "six" and "1795" reflect my view that the relationship did
_not_ start in Paris.)
   My lengthy endnote on pp. 248-249 explains that I, too, have been
following the ongoing arguments since the publication in 1974 both of
Douglass Adair's "The Jefferson Scandals" and Fawn Brodie's _Intimate
History_. My endnote also refers readers to the vast literature about this
subject—including the works by Eyler Robert Coates and Cynthia H. Burton
recommended on the website of your Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society.
   And that note ends with this statement: "In the extensive and contentious
literature about Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings, nearly every conclusion
expressed in this chapter has probably been disputed by someone somewhere
and especially by my late friend V. Dabney. So be it. I remain committed to
learning what the primary source evidence can reliably tell us about
history."

                                                                *

I very much appreciate Professor Hardwick's perceptive remarks. In that
spirit, I wish to recognize the extraordinary courage and integrity of Dr.
Daniel P. Jordan in his leadership at Monticello. I met Dan when he was at
VCU and back then we served together for more than a decade on the Review
Board that passed judgment on nominations to the National Register of
Historic Places. Dan Jordan is an exemplary historian, citizen, executive,
and human being. I have no idea what he may think of Mr. Jefferson's Women.
I do know that the clarity, intellectual integrity and candor of his
oft-published comments about the importance of honest research at museums
and historic sites exemplify the Jeffersonian ideals so many of us admire –
and that Monticello and the world have benefitted from Dan
Jordan's stewardship.
--
Jon Kukla
www.JonKukla.com <http://www.jonkukla.com/>