From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:58:25 -0500
The instance of Lyon G. Tyler points out one of the arbitrary and
foolish aspects of trying to determine who in a given century was the
greatest or most important (or most loathesome): Tyler was president of
the College of William and Mary late in the nineteenth century, too, and
therefore laps over the artificial century barrier. That will be the
case again if we keep this up and wonder which century (if we must so
limit ourselves) Thomas Jefferson belongs to.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to read people's suggestions and
reactions.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us