From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:44:20 -0500
It is a common misconception that the slave quarters depicted at
Carter's Grove are a reconstruction or restoration. In reality they
are a recreation. There was very little archaeological evidence that
there were even slave quarters at that particular site ( a series of
pits). One of the buildings is a replica of a slave quarters from
another plantation about 50 miles away.  While the story being told
is compelling and probably fairly accurate, the buildings themselves
have little or nothing to do with Carter's Grove. If you look at the
buildings it is clear that had they existed on the site, there would
have been extensive remains in the ground. One would have had a
builders trench and possibly even a brick foundation. Another is
built on large pilings and the massive post holes would have been
obvious.

I too find it distressing that Carter's Grove et al will not reopen.
I am particularly concerned about the closure of the archaeology
center. CW does a pretty good job of folk art, crafts, and decorative
arts. There has never been much on archaeology. There used to be a
small museum near the Anderson Forge. That closed about the time that
the museum at Carter's Grove opened.