From:
Mildred Fournier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:29:45 -0500
Now that I think about it, why on earth would a "good family" with a
daughter of "good reputation" have consented to such a fate for her?

MWF

The Maids certainly were not all from orphanages or prisons -- in fact most
if not all very NOT such people. The criteria laid down by the Virginia
Company in London was that they be maidens of good families and good
reputation. They were screened, probably interviewed, etc., according to VC
records.

Unfortunately, the names of the maids who arrived on the first 1 or 2 ships
(ca. June 1620) have been lost, as is the case with the one who may have
been my ancestor. I found her in a separate record (which was only
referenced in the Colonial Records Project, not copied, and CRP didn't
mention her as a Maid, but the original document that I ordered from the
Public Record Office in London did). Clearly, this document (a 1624/5
"deposition" in a lawsuit involving Virginia
property) should have been copied for the CRP because this maid -- first
name Margry -- m. Reverend William Mease, founding minister at St. John's
Church, Hampton, 1610-11.

jc