Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 15:26:04 -0400
I agree that it's worse than pointless to fill up bandwidth and multiply
the message count with repetitions of old-news Hemings-TJ arguments, and I
agree about the deplorable list-tampering. But in my view, it's also
important to recognize that in fact not everything that _can_ and ought to
be said about Hemings-TJ _has_ been said -- even if much of what has
already been said gets repeated in this forum way too often.

One example, one self-serving example, and one observation:
* The example: Cyndi Burton's _Jefferson Vindicated_ offers
  new evidence. Dan Jordan himself has affirmed that new
  evidence merits considering. I'd like to hear more from
  thoughtful people about her book.
* The self-serving example: I can imagine that someone
  could prove wrong much that's in the essay that I posted
  last week at TJscience.org ("Sally Hemings, Thomas
  Jefferson, and the Authority of Science"), but leaving
  aside the essay's summary of fairly well known criticisms
  of _Nature_'s editors, I can't imagine that anyone could
  prove the criticisms of _Science_ magazine and of the
  famous statistical study to be old news. In fact I wrote
  the essay in large part precisely because certain
  dimensions of the paternity controversy -- especially the
  statistical science -- have simply been left undiscussed,
  I believe because of C. P. Snow's two-cultures gap. I'd
  like to hear what thoughtful people have to say about
  all of this too.
* The observation: The DNA news will be ten years old
  this fall. I don't know if Professor Bob Turner's
  Scholars Commission book could still make it into print
  this year, but I've read his manuscript carefully, and
  it seems to me that it offers some pretty interesting
  refutations of arguments that paternity believers often
  seem to find unassailable. But even if Bob's book isn't
  distributed this fall, it seems to me that we will soon
  see DNA ten-year-anniversary coverage in the media,
  conceivably leading to discussions meriting attention
  in a fairly scholarly Virginia history forum.

I admit, however, that I don't know the remedy for the annual shouting
match. Maybe TJ was wrong when he said that reason and free inquiry are the
enemies of error and of error only. Maybe they're also the enemies of
shouting. (Yes, I know, shouting is really only a species of error.)

Thanks very much.

Steve Corneliussen