From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2008 17:07:13 -0400
My wife and I have just returned from the Christening of our 15th grandchild, and indeed it was a happy occasion.   I had hoped upon my return that things would have settled down on VA-HIST, but alas they have not.

I think I must be one of the oldest (in length of time and in age) participants.  I remember when Elizabeth Roderick worked to keep things going.  The friends I have made on it I count as real treasures.  You all helped me ressurect and publish music of the 19th Virginia Heavy Artillery, the ONLY Virginia Civil War Band music that has survived (Remember "Dear Mother I've Come Home to Die, Quickstep."

And you were instrumental (no pun intended) in launching me as "The Trumpeter of Jamestowne", making the rounds of Rotary Clubs, SAR, DAR and even "Sons and Daughters of Pilgrims". And of course having the Wind Ensemble at Lehigh University record Jamestown band music of the 1807, 1907 and 2007 celebrations was the most exciting project I have undertaken in my twilight years.

But things have changed at VA-HIST.  The tenor of VA-HIST has changed.  What used to operate as a collegial group of ladies and gentlemen has been infected by a few ego-centric, self-proclaimed arbiter of morals and behavior.  I don't know whether it is related or not, but my in box which used to have a dozen or so good messages now has two to three dozen. many actually dialogs.

I have toyed with blocking messages with content which bothered me, but I would not be honest with myself, exercising selective censorship.  And of course I can take the sage advice of some of you to "just ignore those offending messages."  But that does not fix anything.

Therefore, I have reluctanly concluded that the best thing for me to do is to sign off VA-HIST.  I need a break.  I know that I shall miss you good folks, and I am almost as sure that I'll be back.  I am avoiding the old adage that "idle hands are the Devil's workshop" by gearing up for my next project, "Digital Heritage of Virginia", which is yet another byproduct of my VA-HIST experience.  Designing a logo, getting a domain, and pretending as I did for "The Trumpeter of Jamestowne" that it is all real :))

But for the immediate future,  So long..... It has been a great experience.

Randy Cabell
Chawnzmit@DHoVA