Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:58:27 -0400
Wasn't Newport shipwrecked with Gates et al on Bermuda only to limp into Jamestown later?
And then wasn't it Lord De La Warr whose arrival prevented Gates et al from abandoning the colony?
Not trusting memory, I've just skimmed the narrative in Billings, Selby, and Tate's Colonial Virginia: A History.  Although it doesn't follow the whereabouts of Newport in detail through all this episode - it may cast doubt on some details in this account of the naming of Newport his Newes.

Respectfully submitted,
Jon Kukla