From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:44:54 -0400
Anne

Location, location, location. Resources are why people lived places,
and still do today. But back before RRs, ships,  and trucks you lived
where there was food to eat. One compelling reason for the rise of
civilizations along the coast of South America is the upwelling of the
cold nutrient rich waters. The result is some of the most concentrated
fisheries in the world. Which have been exploited for thousands of
years. Sumer et all and the Nile civilizations arose because of the
incredibly fertile alluvial soil. Lots grew there wild and once people
figured it out, it was a great place to farm.

The change in climate required to make southern Greenland habitable is
considerably less than what would make Antarctica more salubrious. And
a fairly small change during the Middle Ages doomed the Viking colony
in Greenland (they could no longer grow grain and grass to feed sheep
and cattle). As far as I am aware the conditions 20,000 to 40,000
years ago were colder, with glaciers, not warmer.

The geography is also responsible for the rough seas around
Antarctica. I doubt they would be substantially changed by climate. My
understanding is that the seas are huge because there is no land to
moderate them. No one would want to be in an open boat in 100 foot
seas (read about Shackleton). The distances are also greater. Keep in
mind the accepted migratory route to the Americas involved the
expansion of glaciers, lowering the seas and making for a land bridge.
Nothing like that could have occurred in the south, the ocean is too
deep. And the climate change that made possible the settlement of
Greenland, made the distances longer. But by 900 the Vikings had
developed a really good open ocean boat. Nothing like that existed
20,000 years ago. We're talking hide boats, rafts, or dugouts.

Not saying it is impossible, just highly unlikely. Occam's razor must
be kept in mind. It is a great deal easier to cross the relatively
short distance from either Europe to NA or Asia to NA via a northern
route (mostly or all dry land) and then simply move rapidly down the
coast. I have always had difficulty with the idea that ancient men and
women would want to walk down a corridor between two glaciers in
Alaska and Canada, when there were undoubtedly (given the resources)
maritime folks who could just walk or paddle down the coast.