From:
Michael Flanagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Flanagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:06:21 -0500
I have approximated the location of a tract of land from the 1704 Quit Rent
Rolls for Prince George County. I am reasonably confident of the location
after having "boxed it in" from the metes and bounds of adjacent land
patents/deeds - it is on the SW outskirts of what is now Petersburg. The
tract was not acquired by patent, so I am contemplating getting a title
search done, but have no idea how far back VA title searches actually go
because of the destruction of records in this area during the Civil War. The
land remained within the family through 1733 for certain, but because of the
spotty nature of Dinwiddie/Prince George Co. records, I cannot tell what
became of it. It was not owned by a family member on the 1782+ land tax
records, so it evidently was conveyed sometime between 1733 and 1782. It was
not a particularly noteworthy family of Virginia lore that owned the land,
so no hope there.

Does anyone know how far back the VA real estate title records actually go?

Thanx