Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:56:02 EST
In a message dated 2/13/2002 10:10:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> REAL LIFE IS USUALLY COMPLEX AND COMPLICATED!  PLEASE DON'T
> OVER-SIMPLIFY!!!
>                 :-)             Bob Shriner

You are correct Bob. It is also why I wote: "I would have to look at the
record further, but it sure seems that way to me", which was in the email
that you quoted.

However, the following is a little to over-simplyfied and hardly fits any
record of American slavery that I have seen: 'More recent research seems to
suggest
that in many ways ancient  "slavery" was little different from modern
"employment" on a self-contained work site with employer-provided room and
board, with the quality of the employer, working conditions, and the
sustenance varying widely.  The same is likely to have been true in both
the North and South both prior to and after the US Civil War.'

Slavery as a benign institution of nine-to-five drudgery? Am I reading this
correctly? Did I miss and wink and nod?

Bill Russell