From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:31:52 -0500
It has a lot to do with it. England was [and to an extent still is] a
very class-riven [and driven] society. Rolfe was from a wealthy class
of gentlemen, his family had several manor houses [the one he had
grown up in burned in 1940, I think it was], probably under ordinary
circumstances he never would have been allowed to marry outside his
class. But since Rebecca was a 'princess', that may have made a
difference. And of course later she was so well-received in London,
even at the royal court. Early Virginia very much still lived by the
class rules they had left behind in England. Or tried to, as much as
frontier living would allow.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone