Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 22:50:39 -0500
You are absolutely right. The price you mention here is well below the point
where it would be affected by the estate tax. You have certainly done
nothing illegal here.
And, yes, there is nothing to prevent a person from selling something for
less than it is worth but if the IRS deems the transfer to be an attempt to
avoid taxes....as in a large estate that the IRS says is worth millions and
they want to get their part of it at the owner's death, then the buyer &
seller better be ready with a team of lawyers to prove that it was not tax
evasion.