Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:16:55 -0400
I have found no evidence that Davenport dealt in slaves - his own, or
anyone else's. He was a commission merchant that dealt largely in food
and household goods.  Many commission merchants did deal in slaves, but
many of them didn't. I have tried to find any evidence that Davenport
did, but have not turned up any information that would indicate he did.

Other commission merchants that did also deal in slaves, whether in a
large capacity, or just occasionally, were fairly easy to find.

If you (or anyone else) have any information indicating that I.G. & B
Davenport (or the earlier ship owner Edmonds & Davenport) had any slave
trade connections, I wish you would share.

Obviously I haven't found or seen every possible source for Davenport,
but my search so far can't find any instance when any of this family
bought/sold hired out or hired slaves. Maybe someone on this list has
the evidence that has so far, escaped me.

If it exists, I'd love to know about it.

Elizabeth