From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:02:39 -0400
I'm not sure that I would go so far as to say that I "demonize" him.
I certainly don't agree with what he did. But as a trained
anthropologist conflating "Negro" and "Indian" strikes me as pretty
odd. But then some people, even anthropologists, used to believe in
phrenology. I still think he is an excellent example of how someone
thought could influence past history. He made Virginia's Indians
disappear.

Although part Indian, Plecker's policies had no effect on my family.
We were all living up North. Since my Indian ancestry is from
marriages in the early 1700s, it is likely that the birth
certificates had Caucasian or White for race.

James Brothers, RPA