From:
"Anita L. Henderson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:04:23 -0500
Dear Joan:

I would also like to expand on your observation that slavery involved the entire 13 colonies (anybody remember a slave graveyard in NYC)???  Slavery involved not just the 13 colonies but Canada as well.  All of North America was involved in the slave trade albeit, the Canadian provinces gave it up after England outlawed it and again because it wasn't as profitable in Canada  and also the northern colonies as it was in the American South.   This difference in profitability gets a huge boost with the invention of the cotton gin by Eli Whitney in the late 18th century.  Prior to that, there were quite a few prominent slaveholders who emancipated their slaves in the spirit of that  new national idea of "all men are created equal"  that created personal internal discord with the realities of a slave society and the hypocrisy therein.

Anita L. Henderson
Woodbine, MD