Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:36:50 -0400
IF YOU CAN OBTAIN A COPY OF THE LITTLE BOOK,
"THE FIRST SEVENTEEN YEARS; VIRGINIA 1607-1624".
WRITTEN BY CHARLES E. HATCH, JR.; PUBLISHED BY THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
PRESS, THERE IS MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT THE FOUNDING AND NAMING OF NEWPORT
NEWS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN NEWPORT NEWS AND THE THEORY HERE IS THAT THE
NAME WAS TAKEN FROM CAPTAIN CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT'S NAME AND HAD SOMETHING TO
DO WITH HIS 'NEWS' IN DISCOVERING THIS AREA.
HE WAS THE CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP 'SUSAN CONSTANT' WHICH WAS ONE OF THE 3
LITTLE SHIPS TO LAND AT JAMESTOWN IN 1607.
THE ABOVE BOOK IS OUT-OF-PRINT BUT LOCAL TIDEWATER VIRGINIA LIBRARIES ALL
HAVE IT. I FOUND TWO COPIES ON AMAZON.COM THROUGH THEIR USED BOOKS SECTION.
GOOD LUCK.
DEANE FERGUSON MILLS
YORKTOWN VA
Subject: Newport News

> Would anyone have any information on the origins of the name of Newport
News?