From:
Alexander Pyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:20:09 -0700
Randy,

It's in Bradford's [History] Of Plymouth Plantation, chapter 4.  He
listed:

  1. Increase the size of their company as many were unwilling or unable
     to migrate to the Netherlands;
  2. Improve their standard of living as those who were permitted to
     migrate could only hold low-paying craft jobs;
  3. Prevent the corruption of their children being exposed to worldly
     temptations, a special problem (as they saw it) among the Dutch;
  4. Propagating the gospel "in those remote parts of the world."

Of course, the impending war between Spain and the Netherlands probably
figured into their calculations, along with "other like reasons."

alex :-)

Alexander Pyle                Pronunciation Guide:
[log in to unmask]      Alexander - as in the Great;
                                Pyle - as in Gomer.