From:
Judy Pons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:06:18 EST
This is my first time posting to this list.  If this is not the proper forum
for my questions do you know where I might write to ask these questions.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.  My questions are below:

In the following records for processioning of lands in St Pauls Parish I am
interested in the Via surname. (processioning orders below my questions)

1.  The order to procession in 1716 indicates among others the land of Mar
Vin (Via).  But when the return is made it indicates the land of Amor Via.
Does the return indicate Amor was still living or only that the land
previously belonged to him?

2.  The records for Mary/Marg Via - do these entries most likely refer to
Amer Via's wife?  If so why would she not be referred to as Widd Via, like so
many other women were referred.

3.  What reasons may there be that no reference is made to Amer Via's
children as orphans?  Even though his actual death date is unknown it appears
as though he would have had minor children at the time of his death.  His
children were: Robert born ca 1685, William born ca 1698, Jane born ca 1692,
Judith born 1699, Margaret born 1701, and Mary born 1703.  Entries for other
surnames refer to "Orphans"

Page 217
Precinct 27     Returns made to the Vestry of St Pauls Parish march 14th,
1708/9
The lands of James Blackwell Senr, Geo: Turner, Benja Buckley the Widdow
Thompson, Gabriel Heath, John Barnet, and Amor Viah being made one precinct,
of which the said Geo: Turner, and Amor Viah, were Appointed Overseers, who
made this return on the Back of the Order (viz,) in Pursuance of an Order of
Vestry held for St Pauls Parish for processioning of Lands We Amor Viah &
Geo: Turner in Company with Robt Thompson, Edwd Burnet, John Howard and
George Jones, have procession’d our lands into one precinct, except the
failures hereafter mentiond and also the dividing Lines betwixt each other
without any Exceptions:  Also James Blackwell Senr, being in Company with us
where his land Joind upon part of the Aforesd, land procession’d into one
precinct. These following are the failures, viz. Geo: Turners Land
begins………..

Page 226

Precinct 14    At a Vestry held for St Pauls Parish at ye Lower Church march
ye 17th,1711/12
The lands of Robt Horsley, John Matlock, Peter Plantine,Jonas Lawson, Wm
Talley, John Talley, Mark Anthony, Marg Via, Widdow Thomson,Widd Burnet, Jno
Peece & Widd Crawford, being made one precinct, whereof the sd Robt Horsley, &
 Jno Matlock were appointed Overseers, made ye return viz, 9br ye 24th 1771,
in Obedience to this Order of Vestry, we theSubscribers have, with ye, within
mention’d persons, procession’d the Lands of the within mention’d Order

Page 238

At a Vestry held at the Lower Church ye 3d of April 1716

The Lands of Robt Horsley, John Matlock, Peter Plantine,Jonas Lawson, Wm
Talley, Jno Talley, Mark Anthony Mar Vin, Widdow Thomson,Widdow Burnett, Jno
Peece & Widdow Crawford being made one precint, whereof the said Robt
Horsley, & John Matlock were appointed Overseers made this return via, 9br ye
24th, 1711, in Obedience to this Order of Vestry

Page 250-251
Precinct 14            At a Vestry held at the Lower Church ye 3d of April
1716
The Lands of Robt Horsley, John Matlock, Peter Plantine,Jonas Lawson, Wm
Talley, Jno Talley, Mark Anthony, Mary Vin, Widdow Thomson,Widdow Burnett,
Widd Peece & Widdow Crawford  being made one precinct, whereof Robt Horsley &
Jno Matlock,were Overseers, and made this return, viz in Obedience to the
within Order ofvestry, we have Peaceably Procession’d the lands of Jonas
Lawson, Wm Talley,Mark Anthony, Amor Via, Widd Thompson, Widd Burnet, Widd
Peece & Widd Crawford, Peter Plantine not present…..

Thank you,

Judy Maupin Pons