Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:13:05 -0600
This was sent by a cousin who gave her permisson to post it here. Thought
some of you might enjoy reading it.
~malinda

There is mention of Geo. Washington & the war in this letter.  Thought you
might like to read it.  ~Virginia

The following material is taken from the Genevieve E. Peters Collection
of Records Pertaining to the Wyatt Family.  The Notes following the Letter
are by Ms. Peters.---Gloucester, Va. July 5, 1756

Dear Sir:
Yours of the 5th of November & 12th. of February now lies before me, and
let me assure you no satisfaction can equal the pleasure I receive from the
agreeable account of the health of yourself, and what you justly esteem as
your second self, I mean my good cousin and family, but my friend although
the part of your letter that convey the prosperity of your house are
accompanied with an uneasiness, not that they are made--that would be
acting with the highest ingratitude--but that my conduct should occasion
such
retrospective complaints, not only just, but apparently necessary; yet
though appearance may condemn my not making the expected remittance to Mr.
Cropper (1) as also to Mr. Backhouse, I have something to offer in excuse
that may mitigate, although not extenuate, the guilt of keeping from them
what honesty loudly claimed.  In the fall of the year '53, I married a
woman blessed with all the ornaments that could adorne the sex, in the
spring of
the year '54 I received the goods of Mr. Cropper, & acct. of Mr. Backhouse
balance due him 11.15/, about which time I lost my wife, snatched away in
all the bloom of youth and beauty, e'er she could make me a father, together
with several debts of Roystons & Elliott's contracting, which then came
for 336 pounds, out of which I propose to pay my debts, the inconveniency
settling my Northumberland Estate ran me to part of them, but although I
used every method entitled to by law, I have not got the money.  The whole
produce of my estate in '55 I applied to the extrication of myself in this
country.  I how have an opportunity to satisfy the demands of Mr. Cropper
& Mr. Backhouse, though he really don't deserve it, for selling my Tobacco
at so mean a price, far below what I could have obtained in this country,
and
have accordingly drawn my merchants for the payment of them.  If what I
have related doth not plead for me, dear Sir,  I say, allow friendship to
cast
her weight to make the  scales preponderate and contrive your regard to a
man that always esteemed in the second blessing of his life.

You wrote me desiring me to let you know what part of the world your
brother Edward (2) inhabits.  At present I can not perform this task, though
about 4 months ago he left this place for Barbadoes with about 300 bushels
of
Indian corn, but then declared he would never revisit St. Kitts until he had
regained his trade, which he complained was principally prejudiced by
selling that cargo of beef you left to several people who, while here in
the year '55 broke and went to St. Eustatia; he, relying on their ability
sent
an account current making himself debtor for the whole.  If so, he is
greatly to be pitied.

 I purpose keeping the letter you recommend to my care, until I hear him
fixed or see him here, as to sending it after him without knowing where to
find him, it is more probable that it may never be to hand.  Your other
brother
(3) is in a flourishing situation; entirely quitted that pernicious
practice, Gaming, etc. and has the reputation of being the best planter in
Spotsylvania.  Your sisters are both well.  Mrs. Johnston I saw at the
Carolina Court the other day, very big with child.  The number between her
and the Captain are a large odd of thirty.  She showed me a letter from
you in which Johnston was not even mentioned, and which gave him particular
uneasiness and I imagine you would write complacently to him your sister
would receive better treatment.  I speak this as a conjecture of my own;
not that I know he doth not treat her kindly, though I am not entirely free
of
suspicion.  Your other brother's (4) widow married some time ago one Ross,
a Scotch cabinet maker, by whom she has two children.  All of your
brother's children are dispensed among their relatives, and Ben Rowe (5)
declares if the eldest has any right to the Kentish Estates (6) he will
never
cease until he is quite possession of it; therefore, as the old Gent left
his
whole estate to Lord Romney, I think it would be advisable to examine into
the rights, which you may easily do.

All the remainder of the family in the remote branches (7) are almost as
you left them.  Conquest and Peter are both married.  Miss Nancy, after a
40 year's celebacy, entered into that estate the other day with a man of
tolerable circumstances.  My sister I married about 10 days ago to a gent
of distinction in Northumberland.  My brother continueth a bachelor, as also
doth Jack Wyatt.  As to my self, I remain a widower.  It is now better than
2 years since I unhappily lost my wife, all of which time I have devoted
to settling and improving my Estate, and now can clear annully 140. sterling
without fatiguing myself with constant attention.

I live with War.  Washington, Esqr. (8) as companion, so I am at trifling
espense. I have had several times an intention of visiting Liverpool, and
sometimes think of following the sea; then again I think of getting a
commission in the forces we are obliged to keep on our frontier to prevent
the French and their Indian allies from destroying our bac inhabitants, but
the fear of not being continued on the British establishment has hitherto
prevented me.  At other times I think there are no true and permanent
happiness but in married life, and immediately determine to get a wife,
but I survey all the beauty that faces in my way with indifference, this
possessed of one blemish, that of another, so that my resolutions are
always arrested.

O that I had my worthy friend's advice to determine me in the future
disposal of myself.

 The continent is at present in one entire scene of war, and the devistating
consequence of that enemy of harmony.  General Webb, with Loudon's Aid de
Camp, arrived three weeks ago in New York in a Packet, the forces minitely
expected by his ascent. Loudon was to sail a fortnight after him, so it may
be reasonably concluded he may be at New York by this date.  By the
information of public prints Major General Winston (or Winslow) has with
him a large body of troops, hardy veterans, inured to fatigue with large
proportion of Olivarian principle, on his march to the attack of Crown
Point, but whether they may meet with success is a point which time will
evidence.  We are well assured of the strength of the fort which report
makes to be without parallel in this part of the world.  I am apprehensive,
as the last summer will be spent without any apparent results.  Had the
forces destined for North America arrived in March, we might have hoped to
have concluded the dispute here, & put a period to the exorbitant charges
of the war.  Virginia alone has raised one hundred & large odd thousand
pounds, which must greatly impoverish a young country.  The only money
stirring among us now is paper currency, which the tax is calculated to sink
in the year 60 with 5% per ann: until the calling in of it.

We now have 2000 troops on the frontier of this Colony, under the command
of George Washington, Esquire, a young but brave man, scarce exceeding 25.
We have flying rumors of the loss of Port Mahon, by a vessel late from
Maderia; pray heaven it may be false, as the loss would be inconceivable;
it would not only impede our straights trade, but infallibly ruin it,
especially the Turkey commerce, which is a very beneficial branch.

But good heaven, what a letter!  I am apprehensive the perusal must tax
your patience; there fore, here let me stop, desiring my compliments to
everybody that retain a thought of me, particularly Mrs. Kenyan with her
good
family.

My affectionate regards to Mrs. Wiatt & your little ones, and believe me to
Dear Sir, your affectionate kinsman & obt. Sert.

Signed:              John Wiatt.
 ______

John Wiatt's letter, p. 3   Notes

 Edward Wiatt, 1619-1670, Son of the Rev Haute Wiatt. m. Jane Conquest and
established himself at "Boxley", Gloucester Co. Va.

Edward and Jane had several children, only one reaching maturity and
establishing a family,  CONQUEST, 1645-1720.  M. Sallie Pate.  They had
Francis, Conquest, James, Edward, Jane and John.  Of the FIVE children of
Conquest and Sallie Wiatt, TWO are of interest to us in this letter.

FRANCIS,  m. Elizabeth Kennon. They had,

WILLIAM,  1713 went to Liverpool, Eng. m. Anne (It was to William that
John Wiatt wrote the foregoing letter.  This William was grand-father of the
William Wiatt who came from England and lived in Fredericksburg, Va).

 Edward, 1715 (2) in John's letter.

Francis, 1717  (4) in John's letter

 Thomas, 1720 m. Sukey Edmondson (3) in John's letter.

Peter, 1722 also mentioned.

 Anne, 1725 m. John Thurston.

Elizabeth, 1730 m. Capt. Wm. Johnston.  Mentioned in the letter as having
been seen at Carolina Court, etc.

 The next son of ... [Conquest and Sallie] in which we are interested in
this connection would his third child James.

James Wiatt m. Grace Newton and the records I have list them as being
parents of

Daniel, of Stafford Co. m. Susannah
William, of Stafford m. unk.
James of Westmoreland m. unk.
Sallie
JOHN WIATT, of Gloucester b. 1712 m. unk. So far as I can determine this
was the John Wiatt who wrote to his first cousin in Liverpool.  This MY
SURMISE.
Francis, Gloucester 1715
Elizabeth, 1718
Conquest, of Westmoreland, 1720

You will note that John mentions his sister, to whom he married to a
gentleman in Northumberland, etc.  I arrive at this John as the writer of
this letter in question "by process of elimination."

1.  We know little about this man.  He was m., but no name.
2.  He was of approximately same age as William of Liverpool.
3.  He was William's first cousin.
Ref. (6) Kentish Estate referred to Allington etc. in England, when
William Wiatt, a poor weaver of Gloucester Co., VA. was believed to be the
rightful heir of the ancestral estate in Eng.

Ref. (1) was to Mr. Cropper, a business man of Liverpool, who was the
English agent for some of the Wiatts of Gloucester.

[I am missing the next page.]