From:
Peter Henriques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:04:35 EDT
In a message dated 7/1/2011 12:13:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

And  another question:  I also noticed in Jefferson's accounts several
entries  coded by him in shorthand, read by the editors as "Sukey" at "Smith" or
 "Stifth" (October 14, 28; 1770; April 16, 1771).  Sukey was, seemingly, a
slave, and the name in the context suggests she received a  payment.

LIke John Kukla who mentions these  and payments to a married woman, Molly
Dudley,  in Mr. Jefferson's Women,  I tend to suspect some kind of
hanky-panky when I see coded entries in  accounts.
I am no expert on this but I have not seen any evidence that Jefferson was
unfaithful to his wife during her lifetime.

In my study of George Washington I have seen that some have interpreted
some unclear marks by slaves's names in GW's records as GW keeping  track of
what slaves he slept with - a conclusion that is way beyond the pale  in  my
judgment.

Peter Henriques