From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2017 17:07:46 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

On Wednesday, July 19, our friend Dr. Glenn Williams will join us to present “Lord Dunmore’s War: The Last Conflict in America’s Colonial Era.”  Glenn’s talk is based on his new book Dunmore’s War: The Last Conflict of America’s Colonial Era.  He will have copied available for purchase.  Glenn is a historian at the US Army Center for Military, a past DC ARRT president, and a past ARRT-Richmond presenter.  Due to summer dining hours, we’ll meet for dinner at 5 PM, with the meeting beginning at 6 PM.  Details are here. http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately, due to personal and professional conflicts, John Maass will be unable to lead our November 4 Patrick Henry tour.  We’ll try to reschedule in the spring.  However, Garnet Stevens, manager of Henry’s Scotchtown home, has invited us to visit as we had previously planned.  This will essentially be a group tour for our ARRT, with attendees needing to make individual travel arrangements.  We’ll discuss this at our meeting.

Our VP Woody Childs has been involved in Battle of the Waxhaws research for quite a few years.  He has kindly shared his finding with the group that recently made upgrades and installed a new plaque honoring the American participants and casualties.  Woody attended the dedication ceremony and was surprised and honored to help unveil the new marker.  You can view the pictures here.  https://www.facebook.com/The-Buford-Massacre-591624507567014/  Scroll to the second May 27 posting.  Yes, there are quite a few pictures, but it’s worth it to see him in action, plus some other friends.  Congratulations, Woody!

Ellen Chapman is a doctoral researcher at William and Mary, focusing on Richmond's archaeological resources.  She’s currently writing her dissertation and is interested in getting a sense of what our feelings are on the archaeological potential of the city for Revolutionary War sites.  Hopefully, Ellen will be joining us at the July meeting to describe her project and get some ARRT reaction and thoughts.

Major changes at Colonial Williamsburg have been widely publicized.  Here’s one description. http://wydaily.com/2017/06/29/colonial-williamsburg-fundamentally-restructures-citing-dire-financials-business-news/  As somewhat of a rebuttal, here’s an opposing viewpoint.  https://taylorstoermer.com/2017/07/01/damn-lies-and-statistics-why-colonial-williamsburgs-collapse-isnt-part-of-a-trend-in-public-history-sites/

Our July meeting will be the last chance for members to nominate a 2017 Preservation Partner.  The current nominees are Battersea Foundation, Campaign 1776 (Southern Battlefields), Shockoe Cemetery, and St John’s Church.  Only dues paying members are eligible to vote in the on-line election during the summer.

Here’s an interesting presentation on New York revolutionary battlefields preservation, sent by our NY friend Brian Mack of the Fort Plain Museum.  Look for a familiar face.  http://www.wcny.org/hallowed-ground/

Thanks to Connect VA, ARRT-Richmond is now a member.  This should help spread the word.  https://www.connectva.org/groups/american-revolution-round-table-of-richmond/

See you on Wednesday, July 19.  Happy July 4th!

Bill