From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:59:13 -0400
At 1:25 AM 9/25/0, Harold S. Forsythe wrote:
>  It is not clear why the "Lost Cause" movement needed camouflage for its
>sentiments.
>Union Army government lasted only until 1869, with the last troops
>withdrawn in 1877.  Clearly, there is indication that the songs
>suggest certain sentiments, but pro-Confederate notions were as
>likely to be expressed openly during active military government as
>during anytime from 1860 to 1900.

Prof. Forsythe is absolutely right. Ex Confederates were not bashful.

Indeed, Rives Pollard edited a newspaper during Reconstruction with a
masthead motto of something like "Virginia, my country, right or wrong."
Of course, he got shot, but not by a Yankee sympathizer. Henry Alexander
Wise testified for the defense of the guy who plugged him.

               Ned Heite  ([log in to unmask])