From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:12:58 GMT
According to the site, the Kickoff for the eighteen month celebration of the 225th Anniversary is on October 16th, 2005. I guess some folks are more interested in the wording, then asking why there is an anniversary that excludes many of the Soldiers who fought at The Siege of Yorktown.

Anita

Order Sites for Notes And Documents of Free Persons of Color - Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

LEBOUDIN INFORMATION SITE:
http://www.orgsites.com/ca/leboudinpub/

-- "W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It's really too bad that in our list's quest for accuracy, published
articles by listmembers continue to carry mistakes.

The 225th Anniversary of the Siege of Yorktown is not this October 16th, as
the article states. This is the 224th Anniversary, which would actually fall
on October 19th (known as "Yorktown Day"), although a public event is also
occurring this weekend.

Furthermore, Colonel William Cabell was a "Colonel" (if that) and not a
"Colonial." I also see in your article that William Cabell was a General.
That's quite a promotion.

And finally, the "Event at a Glance" section of the web site
www.siegeofyorktown.org gives a brief overview of events that are scheduled
over a year into the future. You can be rest assured that many programs will
be developed between now and then...it is premature, to say the least, to
state that...

"The celebration that is scheduled to kick off at Colonial Yorktown, on
October 16th, may include America's first all-black unit, the 1st Rhode
Island Regiment, but it will not include the Natives and Blacks who lived in
Virginia."

Anita, the web site that your article points to is the result of the efforts
of a group of volunteer living historians called the Brigade of the American
Revolution. It is not part of a National Park Service conspiracy.
Furthermore, the BAR has more than 100 member units...you have no idea what
units will be there.

I highly recommend looking into an event before writing articles maligning
it, especially after I suggested that you contact them to propose a program
or ceremony on the subject that you care so deeply about.

EVERYONE who has served this country should be honored, regardless of race.
We should also give non-profit organizations, like the Brigade of the
American Revolution, a little bit of leeway to fully flesh out an event that
is over one year away.

I'm glad to see that a link to your recent book is included in your article.
I hope your media campaign helps you sell many copies of it.

Capt. W. Scott Smith, Asst. Geographer
Dept. of the Geographer to the Army, 1777-1783
www.armygeographer.org
 Brigade of the American Revolution

Signup at www.doteasy.com