From:
Rod McCormack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 16:24:06 -0400
>I am about as far from anybody's "obedient servant" as one can get
>but did this phrase in 19thC Virginia serve much as "Yours truly"
>and "Sincerely" do today?
>
>Randy Cabell

I know of no more dramatic example of the fact that the affirmation
of servitude often contained in closing 18th and 19th century letters
was not intended literally than the one I excerpt below,taken from
its transcription which appeared in Boston's Independent Ledger for
November 12, 1781 (It was the fifth of a series of six exchanges thus
transcribed):

Headquarters, before York, Oct 18, 1781.

My LORD,

To avoid unnecessary discussions and delays, I shall at once, in
answer to your Lordship's letter of yesterday, declare the general
basis upon which a definitive treaty of capitulation must take place.
The garrisons of York and Gloucester, including the seamen, as you
propose, will be received prisoners of war. The conditions annexed,
of sending the British and German troops to the parts of Europe to
which they respectively belong, is inadmissable (sic); instead of
this they will be marched to such parts of the country as can
conveniently provide for their subsistance (sic); and the benevolent
treatment of prisoners, which is invariably observed by the
Americans, will be extended to them. The same honors will be granted
to the surrendering army, as were granted to the garrison of
Charlestown.

....Your lordship will be pleased to signify your determination to
accept or reject the proposals now offered in the course of two hours
from the delivery of this letter, that commissioners may be appointed
to digest the articles of capitulation, or a renewal of hostilities
may take place.

I have the honor to be, my Lord,
Your lordship's most obedient servant,
                  G. WASHINGTON

To Lieutenant General Earl Cornwallis, commanding, &c.

I appreciate your sending me the VMI Brass Band photo, Randy, and I,
too, would hope I might see you at New Market Day in Lexington.

Rod McCormack