From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:20:11 -0500
That really points out one of my ambiguities. Strategic view assumptions: 1) a landowner has his own land to farm and if successful, will look for more to purchase and if successful, all that appears in the books. But, if 2) a landowner has his own land to farm and if successful, cannot find land to buy, but will then rent land, then the rental land becomes invisible.

Tactical view: If the landowner has rental property to farm, and his home farm is small, the tendency is to see him as a subsistence to small yeoman farmer and how to separate the two apart from the classic definition of "if he owns it, he's a yeoman farmer". Whereas he may well past a small yeoman farmer.

This practice is prevalent in today's farming system, but that goes as far back as the early 20th century.

Tenant farmers can be discerned by examination of the routes that census takers use as they are on the land they farm.

Of course, all of it is limited by distance. Prior to mechanized farming, in the case of #2 above, the radius must have been quite small.

I agree with Steve's interpretation of the PPT issues. It would be an interesting study to see how much of any given county was rented. but then one would have to have correlated all of the census tabulations and have the Civil War era maps digitized to figure out who was where in the county.

Lyle Browning