From:
Trenton Hizer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:38:02 -0400
Various types of gins existed before Whitney's.  Angela Lakwete's
"Inventing the Cotton Gin:  Machine and Myth in Antebellum America"
(Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003) describes some of these previous
gins going way back in time.  She writes that "Whitney patented a new
ginning principle" and "built a new kind of gin."  I'd recommend taking
a look at it.

Trenton Hizer
Library of Virginia