Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:12:52 -0400
Neil--

Fair enough--thank you for the correction.  I hope my error is understandable, however.  I wrote my post very much about THE HEMINGS OF MONTICELLO, AGR's latest book.  When you responded to my post, appending it to your comments, I hope you will forgive my presupposition that we were continuing to talk about that book, and not about the controversy more generally.

While I by and large share Professor Mayer's pessimistic assessment of the state of American history, I have to say that the situation strikes me as very much improved over where it was ten years ago.  Historians publishing today have, by and large, repudiated the crazier positions with which many were toying a decade ago.  None of the historians who comment regularly on this list serv are (to my knowledge anyway) moral or cultural relativists, and none are nihilists either.

You are mistaken about my original contention.  I did not say that there was no political bias in AGR's earlier work.  I can not say that with any responsibility, because I read it a long time ago, and did not read it with any great care then.  So I am not in a position to offer you a close analysis of AGR's earlier arguments, for better or worse.

My comments were about AGR's latest work, which I have read, and about which I do feel able to comment responsibly.

I regret the miscommunication here.  I think, given the context within which it occurred, that my misreading of your post is understandable.  But I completely agree with you that it is very easy for miscommunication to happen, even when (as is the case here) all parties are working hard to communicate in good faith and with clarity.

I stand by my claim that if we want to assess a work, we have to read it first.  I do not think it is responsible to dismiss AGR's latest scholarship, simply because the earlier scholarship is (we both would seem to agree) flawed.  I can see why, given the earlier scholarship, one might be initially inclined not to bother with the later work--but that is not the same thing as dismissing that work as bad.  You can say "I do not trust this author to write objectively, given the nature of her earlier arguments, and so I will use my reading time elsewhere, on more reliable authors."  But you can not say, responsibly "the latest work of this author is bad."  To say that, you have to give the latest work an honest assessment--a fair read.

All best,
Kevin