From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:20:42 -0500
For music, don't forget about (1) the Cabell-Breckinridge Brass Band at VMI
and (2) the
newly recreated STONEWALL BRIGADE MOUNTAIN SAXHORN BAND in Staunton.  The
Stonewall band
has ordered their own over-the-shoulder saxhorns, which I think are much
like what the Harrisonburg Band had back in the 1850;s.  In the meantime,
they borrow the OTS saxhorns (which are also like the original Harrisonburg
band) from VMI during the summer.

Either (or both if The Stonewall band get their horns) will be outstanding
for the June
celebration.  There may be a problem with getting the VMI cadets back since
I think school gets out the middle of May, in which case, Go Stonewall!!.

In any case, if you are interested in authentic 19th century brass band
music as it WAS in the Valley in the 1850's and as it IS re-created now in
2004, I suggest you get in touch with:

Col. John Brodie, VMI, Lexington - for the Cabell-Breckinridge Brass Band
E-mail Address(es):

and/or

Dr. Eric Laser, Stonewall Brigade Band Mountain Saxhorn Band in Staunton
E-mail Address(es):

Randy Cabell
Band of the 19th Virginia Hvy Arty Bn