From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:00:38 -0500
Some Va-Hist and Va-Roots users have recently experienced difficulties
clicking open some of the digitized documents from the Library of
Virginia web site. The following hints from Rose Schooff, of the Library
of Virginia, should help solve anybody's difficulties:

If you have a pop-up blocker installed make sure our site(s) are allowed
to pop-up.  The Library does not use pop-up ads, but when you click on a
link in the catalog it opens a new window and the computer sees that as
a "pop-up".  The sites that should be allowed are:

http://www.lva.lib.va.us
http://ajax.lva.lib.va.us
http://lvaimage.lib.va.us

If you see a red x in the top left corner, that probably means that
QuickTime has taken over your computer.  QuickTime does this without
your knowledge and it tells the computer it can handle tiff images,
which in truth, it cannot.  The only remedy I know of to correct this
problem is to install Alternatiff which is a freeware program at
www.alternatiff.com

If you are using an AOL browser and having problems, I recommend that
you use Internet Explorer while using our catalog.  The Library of
Virginia is not endorsing this particular browser, I have just found out
that IE works better.

If you are clicking on a URL in the catalog and nothing happens try
copying and pasting the URL into another browser window.  For example,
the URL looks like this in the catalog record.

http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/VDLP/Tazewell/images/VolumeIV/pg062/930540002.
jpg Image

Copy this URL into another browser address bar, BUT take out the Image
at the end (or if the URL has an .html take out everything past the
.html part).

It would look like this:

http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/VDLP/Tazewell/images/VolumeIV/pg062/930540002.
jpg

If all else fails, contact me at [log in to unmask]

Every computer is different and it is very difficult to write standard
instructions given all the variables.

Rose M. Schooff
Webmaster
The Library of Virginia

Computers require exactitude, unlike in pitching horseshoes, close
doesn't count. - Brent Tarter