From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:05:08 -0400
Never said that George Washington didn't own an interest in iron
works. He did. As I have stated he was a part (1/12) owner in the
Principio Co. But with the exception of the Potomac (Accokeek) IW and
associated mine (which were closed in the 1750s) all of the Principio
holdings were in Maryland.

Due to the laws governing ore in the Northern Neck, 1/3 of all ore
mined was owed to the Proprietor. A number of ironmasters and owners
(including Augustine Washington and John Tayloe), claiming that the
ore in Virginia was not good, asked for and got permission to import
Maryland ore tax free. As this "poor" quality ore had been
successfully used by Neabsco, Bristol. Occoquan, Grimes' Recover,
Chiswell, Fredericksville, Marlboro, and Tubal(and came from a
variety of deposits) it seems more likely that it was an economic
issue and not one of quality. Modern analysis of Virginia iron ore
has not revealed any problems, except for high quantities of titanium
in the ore used by the Albemarle IW.

The "iron mines" of the day were open pit and often, per A Progress
to the Mines, required blasting. It was not all heavy manual labor.

James Brothers, RPA