From:
Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:04:08 -0500
Hi Anne Pemberton.
Yes, I agree. Instead of studying about our leaders who owned slaves while
acknowledging it was evil, we should be studying about people in the late
eighteenth century like Robert Carter, Joseph Mayo (who left a will in 1780
freeing hundreds of slaves before the 1782 law allowed emancipation), the
Pleasants family, and the hundreds of slaveowners from Sussex, Isle of
Wight, Henrico, etc. who freed their slaves during their lifetimes with such
statements as, "Freedom is the natural right of all mankind," or "Agreeable
to our Bill of Rights and fully pursuaded that freedom is a natural right
and no law moral or divine gives me a just right or property in any of my
fellow creatures," or "Seeing such an inconsistency betwixt our Declaration
of Independence that all men are equally born free and our practice of
holding a great number of our fellow men in the most abject slavery."

We willl have to assume that Robert Carter's cutting off the toes of at
least one of his slaves that ran away happened before he "got religion."
Paul