From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:44:30 +0000
Jon--

Before the thread, as threads do, strikes off into other questions, I thought I'd offer you a brief and unsatisfactory answer to your question.

To my knowledge, there is very little in the scholarly literature that attempts a direct answer to this question. All of the book length treatments with which I am familiar--Labunski, Gutzman, Banning, on Madison; Veit, on the Congressional maneuvering that culminated in the Federal Bill of Rights; Levy, Sunstein, Amar, on the constitutional meaning of the Federal Bill of Rights--takes the question you are asking for granted.

One study that does touch on it, albeit very briefly, is Jack Rakove's little book on rights, produced for Bedford:  DECLARING RIGHTS:  A BRIEF HISTORY WITH DOCUMENTS.

An article that springs to mind that addresses the question directly is by Warren Billings--I believe it is reprinted in the recent collection of his essays, MAGISTRATES AND PIONEERS.

All best wishes,
Kevin

Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor