From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:15:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/14/01 8:58:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Could the business speculation that TJ became involved in with Wilson Cary
 Nicholas be one of the reasons that he did not free his slaves, but sent
 them to the auction block to save himself and his Montecello? >>

My understanding is that Thomas Jefferson spent way beyond his means in terms
of personal luxuries when he was in Paris (also when Sally Hemmings was sent
there to be a maid to his daughter).  He began digging himself into a hole at
 and never got out.  I am inserting an inventory at the end of this post for
one of my ancestors, Joseph Anthony, who died in Henry Co Virginia in 1785,
that will illustrate the relative value of slaves versus other personal
assets.  They were his most valuable property (next to outstanding debts).
The difference is even more pronounced in inventories for individuals who did
not have quite as many belongings as Joseph Anthony, including some
relatively expensive bedsteads (I'm thinking four posters on a dais) compared
to other inventories I have seen.  His still at 15 pounds is the next
valuable non-breathing physical asset.

(FYI, inventories are very interesting documents.  Joseph Anthony was married
to Elizabeth Clark, daughter of Christopher Clarke and Penelope ?Johnson?.  I
descend through his daughter Sarah Anthony who married Thomas Cooper, their
daughter Mary Polly Cooper, who married John Waller, (son of George Waller II
and Anne Winston Carr), their daughter Mary Polly Waller, who married Crispen
Robertson Shelton, my ggg grandparents)..  Having Anne Winston Carr is what
got me interested initially, before the DNA study, regarding the
Jefferson/Hemmings issue, because two Carr boys had long been implicated and
excluding them was one of the original goals of the DNA study.  (They were
excluded)

In terms of "incentives" to see that female slaves produce offspring, in the
will of James Stark, from whom I also descend, who died in 1754 in Stafford
Co VA, his will has several clauses, where one of his children's bequests is
the  third child of a slave willed to her, but the first two go to other
daughters:  "Item I give to my Daughter SARAH my Negro wench Dinah & her
increase the two first children which she shall bear only Excepted that shall
live to the age of 18 months the first of which children I bequeath to my
Daughter ANN & her heirs forever & the next to my Daughter SUSANNAH to my
Daughters Ann & Susannah when they shall be 18 months of age & not sooner."
In other words, unless the slave had several children, there would be no
benefit to two of the children.    I wonder how that worked out in practice?

Best Regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter, formerly at [log in to unmask]

From Henry County, VA. Will Book #1 beginning on page 120:

I Joseph Anthony being in my perfect Senses and Calling to mind the Mortality
of My Body do make and Constitute this my last will and testament.

First to my loving Wife Elizabeth Anthony during her widowhood, I lend Nine 9
Negroes namely, Cooper, Charcole, Matt, David, Ben, Inde, Sam, old Jeane, and
young Jeane with the Plantation I now live on, also my Stock, Household Goods
& furniture. If after my Decease my wife should marry again my Desire and
will is that, my Executors whom I shall appoint Shall take possession of the
above mentioned Negroes, Said Stock household goods and furniture and Dispose
of the same together with the increase and income Dischrestonaly (sic
discretionally) for the use of my wife and Children for and During her
natural Life.

Item, I give and bequeath to those of my Children, that I shall now mention.
NB Sarah Cooper, Christopher Anthony, Elizabeth Candler, Penelope Johnson,
Joseph Anthony, James Anthony, Mary Carter and Agnes Blaky only one Shilling,
Sterling each out of my Estate, I having gaven Each of them as much of my
Estate at the time of their marrying as I thought proper.

Item, I give and bequeath to my Son Micajah Anthony, to him and his Heirs
forever, that part of the Land Purchased of James Young that lies on the
South side of the Lawyers Rode alowing the the Lawyers Rode to be the line,
between him and my son Joseph Anthony and Two negroes Namely Milly and her
youngest Child.

Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Rachel Anthony to her and her Heirs
for Ever Two negroes namely Henry & Lucy, Item, I give & bequeath to my
Daughter Wineford Anthony to her and her Heirs for ever, two Negroes, Namely
Charles & Sarah.

Item, I give and bequeath to my Son Mark Anthony to him and his Heirs for
ever half of the land whereon I now live, after his Mothers Decease together
with two Negroes, namely Matt & Tom.

Item, I give and bequeath to my son Boling Anthony to him and his Heirs for
ever one half of the Land Whereon I now live, after his Mothers Decease,
being Equally Divided, Between my Two Sons Mark & Boling Anthony also two
Negroes Namely, James & the Eldest Child of A negroe woman name, Milly Which
I formily lent to James Johnson, Which I now give to my Son Micajah Anthony.

Item, I give to my Daughter Judith Anthony to her and her Heirs for Ever,
Three Negroes, namely Nan and her Son David also the Second Child, Which the
S. Milly had which I lent the S. James Johnson, I also give unto those my
last mentioned Children, each of them one Horse & Saddle, Two Cows and
Calves, one feather, bed and furniture or as much money as will purchase them
as they marry or Come of Age and further this is my will that if any of my
Children Decease, Without Heir Lawfully Begotten of their Body, that their
part of my Estate Bequeathed, be Equally Divided Amongst my then Surviving
Children or their Heirs and at the Decease of my wife my Estate to be Equally
Divided amongst all my Children or their Heirs, Except my Daughter, Elizabeth
Candler, I only give unto her at the Decease of my Wife five Pounds Sterling,
only and further is my Will that the Negroe Name Harry, Which I lent to
Penelope Johnson if She Refuse to Keep as a Slave, that the S. Negroe be
returned to my Estate and be Equally Divided amoungst the rest of my Children
and further is my will that if any of my Children should Refuse to Keep the
Negroes which I will to them, that they be Returned to my Estate & Equally
Divided Amoungst the Rest of my Children.

I Appoint my Wife Elizabeth Anthony and my Three Sons Joseph Anthony, James
Anthony & Micajah Anthony and Thomas Cooper, Executors to the within Will and
making all former Wills Void. I Declare this to be my Last Will and
Testament. In witness whereof, I have hereunto Set my Hand & Seal this 24th
day of September, one Thousand Seven hundred and Eighty five. Test Joseph
Anthony (seal) John Stokes Ambrose Jones William Jones John Jones
At a Court held for Henry County on the 22nd day of December 1785 the within
last Will and Testament of Joseph Anthony deceased was proved by
the witnesses thereto whereupon it was ordered to be recorded by the Court.

Henry County, January ye 25, 1786
We John Stokes, Jacob Ferris, Ambrose Jones & William Whitssells In Obedience
to an Order of Court have aprais.d the Estate of Joseph Anthony Deceased and
so Return the following Inventory VIZ. - - -

One Bond of one hundred & Twenty Pounds due Oct. 1st 85 120.00.00
One Bond of one Hundred & thirty pounds due Oct. 1st 86 130.00.00
One Bond of one Hundred & Ten Pounds due Dec. 25th 87 110.00.00
One Bond of one Hundred Pounds Due Dec. 25th 68 100.00.00
Assmt. in the County Court for last General Court Suit 42.00.00
1 Bond of 24 Pounds 18 Shillings due Dec. 25th 1770 24.18.00
1 Bond of four pounds Seven Shillings due Oct. 1st 1785 4. 7.00
1 Bond of Three Pounds due Oct. 1st 1785 3.00.00
1 Bond of one Pound fifteen shillings due 1st 1785 1.15.00
One certificate of one Pound Thirteen and four Pence 1.13. 4
An Accompt of Eight Pounds Twelve Shillings and 1 3/4 pence 8.12. 1 3/4
One Negro fellow Praisd to Ninety five Pounds 95.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Eighty Pounds 80.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Sixty Pounds 60.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Seventy five Pounds 75.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to forty five Pounds 45.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Twenty Pounds 20.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Ten Pounds 10.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Fifty Pounds 50.00.00
Two Ditto Praisd to twenty Pounds each 40.00.00
One Negro Wench and Child Praisd to Eighty Pounds 80.00.00
One Negro Wench and Three Children Praisd to 120.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Sixty Pounds 60.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to fifty Pounds 50.00.00
One Ditto and Child Praisd to Eighty Pounds 80.00.00
One Negro fellow Praisd to Eighty Pounds 80.00.00
One Still Praisd to fifteen Pounds 15.00.00
Ten Head of Sheep Praisd to 3 Pounds 3.00.00
One Mare Praisd to Fifteen Pounds 15.00.00
Two Colts Praisd to five Pounds each 10.00.00
Two Horses Praisd to Six Pounds each 12.00.00
Eight Goose Praisd to Sixteen shillings 00.16.00
Nine 9 Axes Praisd to one pound Sixteen Shillings 1.16.00
Two Iron Wedges Praisd to Six Shillings 00.06.00
Four Plow Hoes Praisd to Ten Shillings 00.10.00
a Parcell of Hoes Praisd to Three Pounds 03.00.00
One Bed, bedstead and furniture Praisd to Eight 08.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Ten Pounds 10.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to four Pounds 04.00.00
One Ditto Praisd to Ten Pounds 10.00.00
Two Ditto Praisd to Ten Pounds Each 20.00.00
One Chest Praisd to one Pound 1.00.00
Nine Chairs Praisd to Two Pounds 16/6 2.16.06
One Table Praisd to three Shillings & Six Pence 00.03.06
A parcell of pewter Praisd to two Pounds 10 shillings 02.10.00
A parcell of Crockley Ware Praisd to one Pound 01.00.00
Two Silver Spoons & Sugar Box thirteen shillings 00.13.00
A parcell of lumber Praisd to one Pound 01.00.00
A parcell of knives and forks Praisd to 10 shillings 00.10.00
A parcell of kitchen furniture Praisd to 3 pounds 15 s. 03.15.00
Three wheels Praisd to one Pound Ten Shillings 01.10.00
One Loom worpping Bars and Set of Spoons Praisd to 01.05.00
A parcell of Tools Praisd to Two Pounds 02.00.00
2 Pair of Dog Irons 1 pair of flatt irons 1 pair of tongs & Pan handle
01.13.00
Two Bibles Praisd to Eight Shillings 00.08.00
A parcell of Lumber and Loom Gares Praisd to 01.10.00
One Whipsaw and Looking Glass Praisd to 01.01.00
One Waggon and Gares Praisd to Eighteen Pounds 18.00.00
One pair of Chards Praisd to Two shillings & 6 pence 00.02.06
Two Guns Praisd to five shillings Each 00.10.00
A parcell of Lumber Praisd to two shillings 00.02.00
One Saddle Praisd to Two Pounds 02.00.00
22 Head of Cattle Praisd to thirty Pounds 30.00.00
17 Head of hogs Praisd to five Pounds two Shillings 05.02.00
Three slaughter Hides Praisd to 1 Pound five Shillings 01.05.00
2 Sides of Leather 28# of Iron and a piece of Steel 01.12.08
Three Candlesticks 1 pair of Snuffers Praisd to 00.04.04
7000# Tobacco Praised to 58.06.08
Three Side Saddles Praised to 08.05.00
Too Mens Saddles Praised to 02.15.00
One Slate & Branding Iron 00.02.06

John Stocks
Jacob Farriss
Ambrose Jones

At a Court held for Henry County VA on the 26th Day of January 1785
The Within Inventory was returned & ordered to be recorded.

(FOOTNOTE:  Ambrose Jones as a witness and appraiser has turned out to be an
important clue to the ancestors of Thomas Cooper.  He was from Essex Co VA,
and I am now trying to trace Thomas, or his father Thomas Sr. back there).