From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:13:33 -0400
The "Kevins" make a good point about Edmund Pendleton's phrase "when they
enter into a state of society" in regard to slavery (and children) and the
Virginia Declaration of Rights.
     In *Mr. Jefferson's Women* I show that virtually identical logic was
applied to women. The legitimacy of the American republic, I argued, "rested
on the fundamental premise, as Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of
Independence, that 'governments are instituted among men, deriving their
just powers from the consent of the governed.' If the authority of
government no longer came from above, through the divine right of kings,
then legitimacy demanded that 'individuals must themselves consent . . . to
relationships that created 'political obligation and political authority.'
    "At some theoretical moment prior to the formation of human society and
government, men _*and women*_ had existed in a state of nature. . . .
Regardless of whether that mythic state of nature had been benign or
vicious, for Hobbes and Locke, and for Jefferson and the founders of the
American republic, the critical event in history was the moment when
government was created by civil compact: the moment when 'our Fathers or
Progenitors passed away their natural Liberty, and thereby bound up
themselves and their Posterity to a perpetual subjection to the Government,
which they themselves submitted to.'
     "Insofar as families were regarded as the fundamental units of social
order in a state of nature, at the critical moment when civil government was
created by compact, women simply disappeared from consent-based political
theory. They disappeared as completely in Lockean theory as they did from
English common law under doctrine of *coverture*, and for basically the same
reason: 'by marriage, the husband and wife are one person in law; [and] . .
. the very being or legal existence of the woman is suspended.'"Insofar as
families were regarded as the fundamental units of social order in a state
of nature, at the critical moment when civil government was created by
compact, women simply disappeared from consent-based political theory. They
disappeared as completely in Lockean theory as they did from English common
law under doctrine of coverture, and for basically the same reason: 'by
marriage, the husband and wife are one person in law; [and] . . . the very
being or legal existence of the woman is suspended.' The result was that
although Enlightenment philosophers expressly included women within their
universal definitions of humanity in its original state of nature, they
silently consigned women to domestic subordination as they imagined the
progress of humanity from that state of nature, through the organization of
patriarchal families, to the creation of civil society and government by
social compact."
*(Mr. Jefferson's Women, *pp. 178-9)
     The result -- joining Professors Gutzman and Hardwick reminder that
Lockean ideas were applied to slaves and children with my explanation of how
these ideas were applied to women -- explains Jefferson's comments in an
1816 letter to Samuel Kerchival:
"Were our State a pure democracy, in which all its inhabitants should meet
together to transact all their business, there would yet be excluded from
their deliberations: 1. Infants, until arrived at age of discretion. 2.
Women, who, to prevent depravation of morals and ambiguity of issue, could
not mix promiscuously in the public meetings of men. 3. Slaves, from whom
the unfortunate state of things with us takes away the rights of will and of
property."

--
Jon Kukla
www.JonKukla.com <http://www.jonkukla.com/>