From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2023 05:28:38 +0000
 The Virginia Constitution of 1776 provides:

"VII:  Thatthe right of suffrage in the election of members of both Houses shall remain asexercised at present, and each House shall choose its own Speaker, appoint itsown officers, settle its own rules of proceeding, and direct writs of electionfor supplying intermediate vacancies."

Does anyone know what that actually meant?  I assume it did not extend to women or free Blacks (there were very few at the time).  And that there might have been a property qualification.  Did it extend to Catholics and Jews (and dissenting Protestants?)

Most of the Revolutionary constitutions extended it to all adult freeman, some with a property qualification and some with race.  NJ extended it to women; none seem to have had a religious test for voting in the constitutions, but I wonder if there was one in the old VA statute?  North Carolina's (below) is pretty typical.  Thanks in advance for any help, and if you can direct me to the colonial statute that would be great.  Answer off list are welcome, or online.  Here in the NC clause, of 1776

Section VII. That all Freemen of the Age off twenty-one Years, who have been Inhabitants of any one County within the State twelve Months immediately preceding the Day of any Election, and possessed of a Freehold within the same County of fifty Acres of Land for six Months next before and at the Day of Election, shall be entitled to vote for a Member of the Senate . . .

PaulFinkelman
Robert E.and Susan T. Rydell Visiting Professor
GustavusAdolphus College
Mailing Address

48 Thorndale Road
Slingerlands,NY  12159