From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2022 13:31:34 -0400
Further to Paul’s post, it would appear that TJ envisioned some form of feudal society, if slavery disappeared. An agrarian society needs labor. The oligarchs did not seem to be inclined to deal with hired labor, given comments about unruly Irish and so forth. In my view, the logical end to slavery was farm equipment mechanization, and that was only due to increased output versus manual labor. The cotton gin was invented to ease the burden of seed removal with the unintended consequence of increasing slavery due to the elimination of the bottleneck of removing seeds. Not until the widespread use of tractors with the internal combustion engine did farm mechanization take off.

As bad as it was, war was the faster mechanism to stop slavery. The graph of farm tractors vs draft animals crossed in 1944 if memory serves. Mechanization was a long way off in TJ’s time.

Lyle Browning