From:
Lyle Browning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2019 11:05:09 -0400
VDOT and the National Archives would have aerial photos of the relevant area. The USAS 1930’s aerial negatives are at NARA and prints are available from VDOT at cost. VDOT took over the aerial photography in VA for the 1950’s and subsequent series. The 1950’s would be at VDOT as would any subsequent aerials taken for I-81 and other needs. The VDOT photogrammetry section is located in Richmond in the VDOT Annex building on the 9th floor. Comparison of Colonna’s numbers where structures were then located should tell you their fate.

I set up and ran the VDOT Cultural Resources Section starting in 1980. Prior to that, there was some survey work done but by 1 consultant to cover the state. Construction of I-81 provided some impetus for historic preservation and cultural resources recognition in VA but not in a systematic way until 1980 and until order could be brought to the somewhat chaotic system in place then, it was effectively early 1982 when it got systematized into something relatively functional.

Lyle Browning, RPA