From:
Jerry Lee Midkiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:51:35 -0400
> Can anyone help me. I'm researching my family and the town of
Big Stone Gap,VA has enter the picture in the Rev. War. John and Isaiah
both were in the Rev. War.  thanks
Jerry Midkiff

 PS--I also had contact
with the people at the Petersburg museums and none
> of their
papers, which are generally in storage--are as early as I am

looking i.e. before 1820--
Chandler wrote:

>> Michael,
>>
>> I am (nearly) a life long amateur genealogist. Because several
of
>> ancestral lines began their lives by immigrating into
Virginia and some
>> sojourned 1+ generations in Prince George
County/Petersburg proper the
>> "missing" early
newspapers/microfilms would be of great interest to me.

Your account is the first I have heard.

Because of health issues (primarily back problems), I have not done any

>> research in Prince George/Petersburg in several years, but
I would am
>> very interested in trying to find and review
such newspapers.

>> Can you provide more detail
about whom you have you contacted in your
>> attempt to locate
the papers or microfilms? I can certainly help make

inquiries.

>> If you are in the Alexandria area
during your sojourn in Virginia this
>> week, perhaps we could
meet to share stories about Prince
>> George/Petersburg.
WILLIAM MAYES, who arrived there ca. 1640 acquired
>> 125A
just north of the current city limits on State Road 144 where it
>> crosses the Appomattox River. In addition, this land is also
easily
>> identified because beginning about 10 years ago it
is being subdivided
>> and developed commercially for the
first time (look for a motorcycle
>> business).
>>

>> joe
>>
>> --- On Wed, 4/11/12,
Michael Nicholls

From: Michael
Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: early Petersburg newspapers
>> To:
>> Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2012,
7:05 PM

5:01 PM, Michael Nicholls wrote:

>>> Some on
this list may be familiar with the fact that there were once
>>> bound issues of early Petersburg newspapers, including ones
which
>>> apparently were not included in the microfilm
editions available at the
>>> LVA and elsewhere, located at
the public library in Petersburg. The
>>> library states
that it no longer holds them, having only microfilm

copies of early papers. The staff do not know if the microfilm is of
>>> the bound volumes they once possessed or the commonly held
version. I
>>> once saw, I think, a statement that in order
to see the bound volumes,
>>> one had to contact a
particular individual and it included an email
>>> address.
I have been unable to find it again--old age, perhaps? In any
>>> case, I am in Virginia for the next few days and would
appreciate any
>>> quick responses to this query.
Thanks--Mick Nicholls