From:
"Kimball, Gregg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2019 09:00:54 -0400
There are a few premises in the initial post that I would consider suspect,
but I'm sure better scholars on the list will weigh in. I hope they will,
because a few of these assumptions have troubled me for some time.

How can we consider the "20 and odd" Africans who arrived in Virginia in
1619 as "indentured servants with time restricted contracts" if they were
taken from a Spanish slave ship by English raiders and traded in the
colony?

Do we know that there were "no laws regarding slavery for life" anywhere in
Britain and its colonies? I ask that because we seem to assume that a lack
of statutes means "no law," but British law, as I understand it, was
largely based on the common law.

Can we EVER assume a "first" in terms of the law of slavery in Virginia
given the massive loss of early records?

Gregg

--
Dr. Gregg D. Kimball
Director of Public Services and Outreach