From:
Sheri Huerta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:21:30 -0500
Lois,
Sometimes the difference in numbers is related to slave hiring. Slave hire
contracts often contained a provision to "pay all his taxes and levies for
said year and treat him with humanity." The differences you are seeing are
possibly the difference between owned and hired out enslaved persons.

Another factor could be age - most annual personal property assessments
tally numbers of enslaved persons aged "12 and under 16" and "16 and above"
- sometimes the tally might include persons aged 9 and older. Taxable does
not include those enslaved persons who by age or disability have been
declared non-taxable (not capable of producing income). An enslaver could
petition the county court for an exemption to the tax liability for an
enslaved person deemed "aged and infirm" or "for reasons appearing to the
court" (Prince William County Minute Book, March 8, 1838 and June 3, 1833).
From Guild's book on Black Laws, in 1779 the Virginia Assembly created the
provision that "when any slave is through old age or infirmity incapable of
labor, the tax may be discontinued." [June Purcell Guild, LL.M. *Black Laws
of Virginia: a Summary of the Legislative Acts of Virginia Concerning
Negroes from Earliest Times to the Present* (reprint 1936) (Westminster,
Maryland: Heritage Books, 2011), 134.]

I hope this helps solve your mystery.
Sheri Huerta, PhD
she/her/hers