From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2017 18:18:37 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

MAY NEWS

”Sir William he, snug as a flea, Lay all this time a snoring, Nor dreamed of harm, as he lay warm...”  Come and hear Sean Heuvel of the Williamsburg Yorktown ARRT tell the rest of the story in his "General Howe and Mrs. Loring: The Myth vs. Reality Behind An Infamous Revolutionary War Affair."  Sean is the founding president of Williamsburg Yorktown ARRT and a past speaker at ARRT-R.  Get ready for all the salacious details at our Wednesday, May 17 meeting.  We’ll begin with dinner at 5 PM (the summer schedule) followed by the meeting at 6 PM in the Heilman Dining Center at the University of Richmond.  Directions and maps are here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

Mark Lender and the Book Prize committee have announced the selections under consideration for this year.  Check here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/

Our Bert Dunkerly’s Eutaw Spring: The Final Battle of the American Revolution’s Southern Campaign is now available.  Bert will be our November speaker.  Get a head start here.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1611177588/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Venters’ recent Conference on the American Revolution was another success, with ever growing numbers.  Check our business sponsor’s other tours here.  http://americashistoryllc.com/

Every year at the conference, Bruce Franklin of Westholme Publishing is kind enough to donate a new book for our raffle.  This year, he offered Theaters of the American Revolution, authored by a number of our friends.  Thanks to Bruce, we have a copy signed by four of the authors for a future raffle.  If you’re not the lucky winner, it’s available through Westholme.  http://www.westholmepublishing.com/theaters_of_american_revolution.php

Also new is Dunmore’s War by our friend and past speaker Glenn Williams.  http://www.westholmepublishing.com/dunmores-war.php  Glenn will return to speak in July on Dunmore.

A limited number of Osher friends will be joining us at the May meeting.  Check their interesting summer series of offerings here.  http://spcs.richmond.edu/osher/index.html  Yes, there is a course on the American Revolution.

Finally, we bid a fond farewell to Gayle Randol.  Gayle has been an ARRT-R member since the beginning, always with an interesting comment or question.  Gayle and her husband Randy are moving back to Houston to be near their extended family.  Gayle offers her good byes and best wishes to our members and reminds us that Sam Houston was born in Rockbridge County, VA.  Good luck, Gayle.  We’ll miss you!

See you all on Wednesday next.

Bill