From:
"Meyers, Terry L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2023 23:49:17 +0000
George Oscar Ferguson (1885-1960) found fame/infamy at UVA for his role in teaching eugenics there:

https://news.virginia.edu/content/uva-and-history-race-eugenics-racial-integrity-act-health-disparities

But he taught at W&M a few years earlier and I’m trying to find out as much about him here as I can.

He graduated from W&M in 1907 and got his PhD from Columbia in 1916, having been given a leave from the College to pursue his doctoral studies.  Beginning in 1908 (or, possibly, 1907), Ferguson taught courses here in Education (he was head of the Normal School), Psychology, and Philosophy.

In 1911, he is listed as having an M.A.

But I can’t discover where he got that degree, and wonder if anyone knows.  He is not the George Oliver Ferguson who wrote an MA thesis at the University of Chicago for a 1910 degree.

Many thanks for any information.

Terry L. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, Emeritus, The College of William and Mary, in Virginia, Williamsburg  23187

Offset Your Carbon Footprint? Choose at https://tinyurl.com/5546274z

Control Methane?  https://earthworks.org

Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.                 --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."