From:
"Brooks, Vincent" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2021 16:30:20 -0400
No, the word was not misread or miswritten.

According to The Farmer. Devoted to Agriculture, Horticulture, the Mechanic
Arts and Household Economy. Elliott & Shields, Published by Richmond, VA.
Volume I: Nos. 1-12 (January- December 1866), a "top stack" refers to
a building used to store silage for farm animals. It is also known as a
fodder house, which would have been a valuable farm commodity.

*Vincent T. Brooks*
Senior Local Records Archivist
Library of Virginia
800 East Broad St.