From:
"Meyers, Terry L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2020 16:06:34 +0000

>Newspapers are a crucial resource in researching Asian Pacific Islander

>Desi American (APIDA) history in Virginia. Learn about the some of the

>stories uncovered in today's The UncommonWealth.

	Thanks for this--fascinating.

	W&M has done some preliminary work related to the subject, which is also interesting.

		https://scdbwiki.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Asian_Americans_at_William_%26_Mary

	Our first Japanese student, Art Matsu (Class of 1928) was supposedly (according to his entry in Wikipedia) an element in the development of Virginia’s Racial Purity Act of 1924.

		https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Matsu#cite_note-NBT-15

	And Virginia’s laws against interracial marriage did lead to one professor here, married to a Japanese woman, feel in 1956 that he had to flee the state.

		https://scdbwiki.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Travis_L._Summersgill

Terry L.. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, Emeritus, The College of William and Mary, in Virginia, Williamsburg  23187

 Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.                 --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."