From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:09:41 -0400
Hi Folks,

1. The American Revolution Round Table of Richmond will meet on Wednesday, July 17, featuring our friend David Reuwer.  David will be presenting “The Gamecock: Thomas Sumter, South Carolina’s Other Revolutionary War Hero.”  We will begin with dinner from 5 – 6 PM, with the meeting commencing at 6:00 PM.  This is our regular summer schedule, due to the dining hall’s earlier hours.  Details and maps are at http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html.  All are welcome.  Please join us and bring a friend.

2. Art Ritter recently attended one of the programs at the Historic Hanover Courthouse and enjoyed it so much that he recommended a reminder.  Here it is.

Subject: The Parsons' Cause Foundation Summer Schedule

The Parsons' Cause Foundation is pleased to present the calendar of activities for the Parsons’ Cause reenactments related to Virginia and Hanover historic events. All performances will be held at the Historic Hanover Courthouse at 11:00 a.m.

The Parsons’ Cause – Prelude to Revolution

On December 1, 1763, a country lawyer from Hanover stepped from obscurity into the forefront of legal and political circles in Virginia.  His name was Patrick Henry.  The event that shaped his destiny was the trial of The Parsons’ Cause.  Henry challenged the two most potent entities of colonial Virginia—the King and the clergy.  The case proved to be one of the opening salvos of the revolution, and started Henry on the path of becoming the “Voice of the Revolution.”  Show dates:   July 27, August 24

Patrick Henry – The Voice of Liberty

Hear Henry, in the last year of his life, as he reflects on his childhood, two marriages, religious convictions, love of children, various careers, and key contributions to the formation of the United States. The talk also includes excerpts from Henry's best known speeches.  Show dates: July 13 and August 3

The Virginia Debates on the Ratification of the United States Constitution

2013 marks the 225th anniversary of the Virginia debates concerning the proposed Constitution for the United States of America.  James Madison and Edmund Pendleton argue in favor of ratification, while Patrick Henry and George Mason are opposed.  Show dates: July 20 and August 10

George Washington – My Life, the Revolution and Hanover County

The Father of our Country reflects on his life, the battles and turning points of the revolution, his connection to Hanover County, and the importance of leadership. Show dates:  June 29 and August 17

      2013 Parsons' Cause Calendar                                                                                                                                                                                   Shows start at 11 AM at the Historic Hanover Courthouse

      July 2013

      13-Jul
     Patrick Henry:  The Voice of Liberty

      20-Jul
     The Virginia Debates on the Ratification of the United States Constitution

      27-Jul
     The Parsons’ Cause:  Prelude to Revolution

      August  2013

      03-Aug
     Patrick Henry:  The Voice of Liberty

      10-Aug
     The Virginia Debates on the Ratification of the United States Constitution

      17-Aug
     George Washington:  My Life, the Revolution, and Hanover County

      24-Aug
     The Parsons’ Cause:  Prelude to Revolution

If you have questions or need more information, contact John Tucker at 804-837-4900.

 3.  Another reminder, Bruce Venter’s America’s History will be offering “Defending the Highlands: The Hudson Valley in the Revolutionary War,” on August 22 – 24.  Details are at http://americashistoryllc.com/2013/01/defending-the-highlands-the-hudson-valley-in-the-revolutionary-war-august-22-24/#more-351  I’ll be joining Bruce.  Please join us.

4. Here are more pictures from Bob Yankle.  Thanks, Bob

Although it’s been more than 2 years coming, I completed a Photo Gallery of the SCAR Corps of Discovery Tour – Ninety Six – “Off the beaten path”, and have uploaded it to the Internet.  If you would like to take a stroll down Memory Lane, use this link:  http://www.revolutionarywarphotoarchives.org/NinetySix/index.html

5.  Finally, a follow up to an earlier post about the Declaration of Independence.

Click on the following link to be redirected to the CBS channel 3 website where the story was done by Carol Erickson.  Tom Lingenfelters copy which is the only true copy of the declaration of independence was on display in valley forge on independence day this year for all to see, the following link will direct you to the news story video.  (A brief advertisement first.)
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/video/9059875-1-copy-of-declaration-of-independence-on-display-in-pennsylvania/

I hope to see you on Wednesday, July 17.

Bill Welsch