From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:36:16 +0000

EXPLORE RELIC

December 2022 – The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history are our specialties as a service provided by Prince William Public Libraries (PWPL). You can always find more about us at https://www.pwcva.gov/department/library/RELIC-about

RELIC service is available:

In-person at Central Library, 8601 Mathis Avenue, Manassas, Virginia 20110, by email at [log in to unmask], and by phone at 703-792-8380.

Hours of Operation

Monday – Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Thursday – Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Closed Sunday

UPCOMING PROGRAMS

All programs will be in person at Central Library.

Some previous RELIC programs can be viewed online at https://www.pwcva.gov/department/library/RELIC-programs

GEORGE AND MARTHA; JOHN AND ABIGAIL -- COMPARING THE MARRIAGES OF AMERICA'S FIRST TWO PRESIDENTS

Thursday, December 1, 2:00 p.m.

Professor Peter Henriques takes a closer look at the relationship between George and Martha Washington and between John and Abigail Adams.

      This program has been recorded for our PROGRAMS archive.

FINDING YOUR FAMILY IN THE NEWS

Friday, January 13, 2:00 p.m.

RELIC’s Don Wilson will describe how a growing number of online newspapers may be searched for items useful for family and local history. Find obituaries, marriage notices, court cases, advertisements, news items, local gossip, and photos – anything that might appear between the pages of the hometown gazette. Register AT https://pwcgov.libnet.info/event/7339603,  by phone at 703-792-8380 or by email at [log in to unmask]

RELIC INSIDER

"THE COURAGEOUS FOUR" EXHIBIT AT CENTRAL LIBRARY

The Courageous Four were a group of Prince William County teachers who became the first African American educators to teach in the County’s all-White schools. In 1964, these trailblazers paved the way for the integration of schools in Prince William County.

Visit the exhibit and learn more about this important piece of local history from December 5–January 31 at Central Library.

PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY CLERK'S ONLINE DATABASES HAVE A NEW URL

Prince William County offers access to many local records on the Clerk of the Circuit Court website. Land records prior to 1918 are freely searchable and downloadable on this site. Records after 1918 require a paid subscription. The URL recently changed to https://www4.pwcva.gov/Web.  Contact RELIC staff if you need help accessing or understanding these records.

TEN REASONS WHY YOU MIGHT USE RELIC'S SERVICES

1.      We offer individual help with research.

2.      We offer genealogy help, regardless of where your ancestors lived.

3.      We can help you research the history of your Prince William house or land.

4.      We can help you locate a missing relative or old friend.

5.      We can help you understand DNA tests and results.

6.      We can help you find old newspaper articles.

7.      We can help you find old maps.

8.      We can help you get in touch with other researchers working on the same project.

9.      We can help you learn about new “happenings” related to genealogy and local history, including programs and exhibits.

10.  We can help you learn about all the services and databases available on our website.

May we help you?

VISIT "THE TREE DOCTOR"

You can now make appointments for virtual or in-person visits with Don Wilson, "The Tree Doctor." We can set up an hour appointment to discuss and dive into your brick wall research problem. Call by phone at 703–792–8380 or email [log in to unmask] to set up a time.

.